Teva and New Jersey Governor Murphy Formalize North America Headquarters Move with Ceremony in Israel4 Views
Teva Pharmaceuticals announced that Teva executives Kåre Schultz and Brendan O’Grady, alongside State of New Jersey Governor, Phil Murphy, formalized Teva’s commitment to consolidate its North America Commercial business areas into New Jersey (NJ) today at the company’s global headquarters in Petach Tikva, Israel.
Announced earlier this year as part of a global restructuring process, Teva will establish its North America headquarters in Parsippany-Troy Hills, including more than 1,000 high-wage jobs and the transfer and creation of more than 800 positions. Teva accepted an offer of 10-year, $40 million tax savings incentives from the NJ Economic Development Authority to move forward with its plan to negotiate a lease for office space in the Parsippany-Troy Hills area.
“We’re entering into a new era of innovation and growth as a leading global generics and biopharmaceuticals company,” said Brendan O’Grady, EVP and Head of North America Commercial, Teva. “New Jersey offers Teva North America a value proposition of a unique biopharma cluster of universities and life sciences organizations in which Teva can build its future in North America—and today’s event is an important recognition of this milestone.”
This ceremony marks another step forward in Teva’s global restructuring efforts to drive savings, restore financial security and stabilize its business. Reducing the number of sites is part of Teva’s strategy to unify and simplify the organization, as well as improve productivity and efficiencies.
“We’re pleased to honor Teva today in recognition of its long-time partnership and commitment to innovation in New Jersey,” said Governor Murphy. “The presence of global life sciences companies like Teva is critical to our ability to strengthen our prosperous innovation ecosystem. We’re excited to welcome Teva to the Garden State--the location to be for the world’s most competitive life sciences companies.”
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) is a global leader in generic medicines, with innovative treatments in select areas, including CNS, pain and respiratory. We deliver high-quality generic products and medicines in nearly every therapeutic area to address unmet patient needs. We have an established presence in generics, specialty, OTC and API, building on more than a century-old legacy, with a fully integrated R&D function, strong operational base and global infrastructure and scale. We strive to act in a socially and environmentally responsible way. Headquartered in Israel, with production and research facilities around the globe, we employ 45,000 professionals, committed to improving the lives of millions of patients. Learn more at www.tevapharm.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, which are based on management’s current beliefs and expectations and are subject to substantial risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that could cause our future results, performance or achievements to differ significantly from that expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include risks relating to:
- our ability to successfully compete in the marketplace, including: that we are substantially dependent on our generic products; competition for our specialty products, especially COPAXONE®, our leading medicine, which faces competition from existing and potential additional generic versions and orally-administered alternatives; competition from companies with greater resources and capabilities; efforts of pharmaceutical companies to limit the use of generics including through legislation and regulations; consolidation of our customer base and commercial alliances among our customers; the increase in the number of competitors targeting generic opportunities and seeking U.S. market exclusivity for generic versions of significant products; price erosion relating to our products, both from competing products and increased regulation; delays in launches of new products and our ability to achieve expected results from investments in our product pipeline; our ability to take advantage of high-value opportunities; the difficulty and expense of obtaining licenses to proprietary technologies; and the effectiveness of our patents and other measures to protect our intellectual property rights;
- our substantial indebtedness, which may limit our ability to incur additional indebtedness, engage in additional transactions or make new investments, may result in a further downgrade of our credit ratings; and our inability to raise debt or borrow funds in amounts or on terms that are favorable to us;
- our business and operations in general, including: failure to effectively execute our restructuring plan announced in December, 2017; uncertainties related to, and failure to achieve, the potential benefits and success of our new senior management team and organizational structure; harm to our pipeline of future products due to the ongoing review of our R&D programs; our ability to develop and commercialize additional pharmaceutical products; potential additional adverse consequences following our resolution with the U.S. government of our Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation; compliance with sanctions and other trade control laws; manufacturing or quality control problems, which may damage our reputation for quality production and require costly remediation; interruptions in our supply chain; disruptions of our or third party information technology systems or breaches of our data security; the failure to recruit or retain key personnel; variations in intellectual property laws that may adversely affect our ability to manufacture our products; challenges associated with conducting business globally, including adverse effects of political or economic instability, major hostilities or terrorism; significant sales to a limited number of customers in our U.S. market; our ability to successfully bid for suitable acquisition targets or licensing opportunities, or to consummate and integrate acquisitions; and our prospects and opportunities for growth if we sell assets;
- compliance, regulatory and litigation matters, including: costs and delays resulting from the extensive governmental regulation to which we are subject; the effects of reforms in healthcare regulation and reductions in pharmaceutical pricing, reimbursement and coverage; governmental investigations into sales and marketing practices; potential liability for patent infringement; product liability claims; increased government scrutiny of our patent settlement agreements; failure to comply with complex Medicare and Medicaid reporting and payment obligations; and environmental risks;
- other financial and economic risks, including: our exposure to currency fluctuations and restrictions as well as credit risks; potential impairments of our intangible assets; potential significant increases in tax liabilities; and the effect on our overall effective tax rate of the termination or expiration of governmental programs or tax benefits, or of a change in our business;
- and other factors discussed in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2017, including the sections thereof captioned "Risk Factors" and "Forward Looking Statements," and in our subsequent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which are available at www.sec.gov and www.tevapharm.com. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made, and we assume no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements or other information contained herein, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. You are cautioned not to put undue reliance on these forward-looking statements.
Kevin C. Mannix, 215-591-8912
Ran Meir, 215-591-3033
Elizabeth DeLuca, 267-468-4329
Yonatan Beker, 972 (54) 888 5898